Sunday 19 February 2023

It Snowed (again) Pt. 1

 18th February 2023

Most mornings, once I've got myself together, I have a look out the windows, front and back, assess the weather and either go make breakfast or, grab a camera, sometimes just phone and head outside.
On this morning the mist was really thick but white with sunlight from above, I wandered to the back of the house and the hills were peeping through and covered in snow. It looked wonderful so, I grabbed the camera and headed outside.

Craig of Balintore (hill) catching morning sunlight

The mist had started to clear and the sky was the clearest blue I'd seen for some time and I wandered about the garden grabbing shots.

Panorama looking towards the Angus glens and Craig of Balintore covered in snow















There was actually some heat in the sun as it started to break through the mist and I realised I needed to go up the glens, now!
I dashed back into the house, dressed quickly, sorted out my gear, started the car and hit the road. Ice? So, I took my time and headed up towards Balintore.

Snapshot of Balintore area from OS maps

It's not a bad road for the most part but, the further up the glens you go, it's almost single track and not quite as well maintained but, the surrounding countryside is stunning and there are usually quite a few raptors around, Buzzards, Kestrel and red Kites. 
Today I was concentrating on the scenery, although I did spot a few Buzzards. I stopped in a good lay-by to get shots of one Buzzard on a fence post but, as soon as I got out, gone!
However, the road, snow and blue sky looked wonderful.

The road to Balintore in snow
The road to Balintore

I wandered around looking for good angles, Balintore castle was just over that hillock.
Across the road, back down a bit and a nice view through a dip in the ground with a lovely old dry stone wall.

Balintore castle in the distance through a dip in a snow covered field

I couldn't quite believe the blue sky, hardly a cloud in sight and, there was heat in the sun. The gate sap in the dry stone wall made for a nice focus towards the castle in the distance. 



Who put that tree there? Ah well, I started to wander back towards the car when I noticed the plastic sheeting caught on the barbed wire and flapping in the breeze, the black so stark against the snow. 
I get so P'd off by all the rubbish we are covering this poor planet in. 

Plastice sheeting caught on barbed wire
Man's mark on our landscape.





Ach well, back in the car and on towards the castle. Over the hill and that road again....

The road to Balintore in snow




The snow changes your perspective, I don't think I'd ever noticed the road curve, those bushes and the castle in this way before. Onward.
Over the next rise, down the dip and .... there it is again. The snow making it stand out so much more and that damned tree 😖

Balintore castle in the snow

Finally, down the hill, into the dip at the bottom, a wee stop before heading up to the castle itself.

Panorama of trees and hillsides in the snow, old building in the trees

I've always loved the old bridge and remains of a hut / building nestled into the trees so I stopped for a while, watched a Buzzard cruise by further up Glen Quharity on the left. 
You may notice the cloud just above the tree, to the left a little.
A wander around a bit, looked up again.

Cloud shaped like a bird
Cloud on the wing



So, that's probably enough for now, I'll add the rest of the explore to another chapter later on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment